Delegates from Japan will visit multiple U.S. cities with the following objectives:
- Understand the U.S. prison system and rehabilitation procedures, especially related to the provision of medical care, mental health services and counseling;
- Learn about the educational systems in place to prepare prisoners for life upon release;
- Explore how U.S. prison authorities engage community organizations to offer additional support services that prisons may not be able to offer;
- Illustrate the needs of diverse populations in U.S. prisons, especially accommodations made for non-English speakers and foreign nationals; and
- Enhance understanding of U.S.-style prison administration and the support given to prison staff members and guards, especially for female employees.